Babies have special needs in the first days and months of life. We would be honored to provide a medical home for your newborn and support you in caring for your child. We invite you to learn more about selecting a Children’s Medical Center pediatrician for your new baby.
The following articles cover topics that are of special concern to parents of newborns. They are written by trusted pediatric physicians and are consistent with the information and advice you’ll receive at our clinic.
Newborn Reflexes and Behavior
Newborn Reflexes - Topics Covered
These harmless behaviors fall into 11 general groups. If your baby is healthy, skip the "What to Do" section. Go directly to the topic number that relates to your question for advice.
- Normal primitive reflexes from immature nervous system
- Normal jitteriness when crying
- Normal sleep movements
- Normal breathing sounds and noises
- Normal irregular breathing patterns
- Normal GI sounds and noises
- Normal sleep sounds and noises
- Normal feeding reflexes
- Normal protective reflexes
- Flying with newborns, safety of
- Mountain travel with newborns, safety of
Is this your child's symptom?
- Normal reflexes, noises and behavior questions in newborns
- These are normal and not signs of illness
- Flying and mountain travel with newborns is also covered